Richard B. Pilgrim
Associate Professor Emeritus, Religion
Research and Teaching Interests Education
- Ph.D. University of Chicago (1970)
|Buddhism and the Arts of Japan
Anima Publications, 1981; 2nd edition, 1993.
|Japanese Religion: A Cultural Perspective
(with Robert Ellwood). Prentice-Hall, 1985.
|Religion: An Introduction
(with Hall and Cavanagh). Harper & Row, 1985.
- "Buddhism and the Arts of Japan," in Religion, Art, and Visual Culture, ed. B. Plate. Palgrave 2002.
- "Intervals (Ma) in Space and Time," in Japan in Traditional and Post-Modern Perspectives, ed. C.W. Fu and S. Heine. SUNY Press, 1995.
- "Mahayana Buddhism," in Concepts of Transmigration, ed. Steven Kaplan. Edwin Mellen Press, 1995.
- "The Tale of Genji in a Religio-Aesthetic Perspective," in Approaches to Teaching Murasaki Shikibu's The Tale of Genji, ed. E. Kamens. MLA Publications, 1993.
- "The Arts of Ma: Religio-Aesthetic Values and Cultural Identity in Japan," in Identity Issues and World Religions: Proceedings of the Fifteenth Congress of the International Association for the History of Religions, ed. Victor Hayes. AASR Publications.
- "Ma and Ku: Shinto and Buddhist Contributions to a Religio-Aesthetic Tradition in Japan," in Proceedings of the 31st International Congress of Human Sciences, Vol. II. Toyo Gakkai, 1984.
- "Foundations for a Religio-Aesthetic Tradition in Japan," in Art, Creativity and the Sacred, ed. Apostolos-Cappadona. Crossroads Press, 1983.
Selected Film Reviews
- Focus on Buddhism. Anima Publications, 1981.
Selected Bibliographical Contributions
- Guide to Buddhist Religion, ed. F.E. Reynolds. G.K. Hall & Co., 1981.
- "Ritual," in Introduction to the Study of Religion, ed. T.W. Hall. Harper and Row, 1978.
- "Some Considerations of Sabi and Yugen as Religio-Aesthetic Categories" in Special Studies Series A-4, East-West Dialogues in Aesthetics. Council on International Education, 1978.
- "Historical Update: Theta Alpha Kappa 1996-2001," in Journal of Theta Alpha Kappa (25:2, 2001).
- "Theta Alpha Kappa: The National Honor Society for Religious Studies/Theology," in the "Bulletin" of the Council of Societies for the Study of Religion (28:2, 1999).
- "The Architecture of Ma: Toward an Architectural Theology in Japan," Faith & Forum, the Journal of the Interfaith Forum on Religion, Art and Architecture (Vol. 26, 1993).
- "The Middle East in Religious Perspective." Independent Study Course in the Front Line Series, Syracuse University Center for Instructional Development (Fall 1990).
- "Karma and Rebirth in Far Eastern Buddhism," Explorations (9:2, 1990).
- "God is in the Gaps," Buddhist-Christian Studies (Vol. 9, 1989).
- "The Buddhist Mandala" in Literature and Medicine (Vol. 8, 1989).
- "Japanese Noh Drama in Ritual Perspective," Eastern Buddhist (22:1, 1989).
- "Ma: A Cultural Paradigm," Chanoyu Quarterly (Vol. 46, 1986).
- "Intervals (Ma) in Space and Time: Foundations for a Religio-Aesthetic Paradigm in Japan," History of Religions, (25:3, 1986).
- "Six Circles, One Dewdrop: The Religio-Aesthetic of Komparu Zenchiku," Chanoyu Quarterly (Vol. 33, 1983).
- "The Artistic Way and the Religio-Aesthetic Tradition in Japan," Philosophy East and West (27:3, 1977).
- "The Religio-Aesthetic of Matsuo Basho," The Eastern Buddhist. (10:1, 1977).
- "Zeami and the Way of No," History of Religions (12:2, 1972).
- "Some Aspects of Kokoro in Zeami," Monumenta Nipponica (24:4, 1969).
- Review of Buddhist Theology by R. Jackson & J. Makransky (eds.), in Buddhist-Christian Studies (Spring 2002).
- Review of Choose Love by J. Gorin, and Zen Buddhism and Hasidism by J.Y. Teshima, in Journal of Ecumenical Studies (34:2, 1997).
- Review of Zenkji and its Icon by David McCallum, in The American Historical Review (Oct. 1996).
- Review of Dogen and the Koan Tradition by S. Heine, in Japanese Religions (July 1996).
- Review of The Awakening of the West: The Encounter of Buddhism and Western Culture by Stephen Batchelor, in Journal of Ecumenical Studies (32:2, 1995).
- Review of Wabi-Sabi by L. Koren, in Tricycle (Summer 1995).
- Review of Six Circles, One Dewdrop: The Religio-Aesthetic World of Komparu Zenchiku by Arthur Thornhill, in Chanoyu Quarterly (No. 76, 1994).
- Review of Zen Awakening and Society by Christopher Ives, in Chanoyu Quarterly (No. 74, 1993).
- Review of The Cult of Kasuga Seen Through Its Art by Susan C. Tyler, in Monumenta Nipponica (47:3, 1992).
- Review of Reaching for the Moon on Asian Paths by K. Morgan, in Journal of Ecumenical Studies (Spring 1991).
- Review of Chaos and Cosmos by H.E. Plutschow, in Journal of Japanese Studies (18:1, 1992).
- Review of The Meaning of Christ: A Mahayana Theology by John Keenan, in Journal of Ecumenical Studies (27:3, 1990).
- Review of Spirituality in Interfaith Dialogue, eds. T. Arai and W. Ariarajah, in Journal of Ecumenical Studies (27:2, 1990).
- Review of Matsuri: Festival and Rite in Japanese Life (Institute for Japanese Culture and Classics, Kokugakuin University, 1988) in Journal of Asian Studies (48:4, 1989).
- Review of Hosaku Matsuo's The Logic of Unity, in Philosophy East and West (39:3, 1989).
- Reviews of Meetings with Remarkable Women and Passionate Journey, in Philosophy East and West (39:1, 1989).
- Review of The Modern Buddhist-Christian Dialogue by Paul Ingram, in Journal of Ecumenical Studies (25:4, 1988).
- Review of The Unfettered Mind by Takuan Soho (trans. W.S. Wilson), in Chanoyu Quarterly (No. 54, Summer 1988).
- Review of The Cross and the Lotus by G.W. Houston, in Journal of Ecumenical Studies (24:1, 1987).
- Review of Karma of Words by William LaFleur, in Journal of American Academy of Religion (Sept. 1984).
- Review of The Supreme Koan by Frederick Frank, in Journal of Ecumenical Studies (1984).
- Review of The Monkey's Straw Raincoat by Miner and Odagiri, in Journal of Asian Studies (16:2, 1982).
- "The Wayward Mysticism of Alan Watts" (with Louis Nordstrom), Philosophy East and West (30:3, 1980). Invited review article.
- "The Long Search Series," Religious Studies Review (6:1, 1980). Invited review article.
- Book reviews in Parabola (II:2, 1977), Religious Studies Review (3:2, 1977), Ecumenical Studies (Fall 1980).