R. Gustav Niebuhr
Associate Professor, Religion & the Media
Research and Teaching Interests Courses
|REL 241 Religious Diversity in America
REL 242 Religious Issues in American Life
REL 343 American Religions and the News Media
NEW 405 Advanced Reporting
- Oxford University, M.A. 1980
- Pomona College, B.A. 1977
- Associate Professor, Department of Religion, Syracuse University, 2004-present.
- Visiting Fellow/Scholar in Residence, Princeton University, December 2001- December 2003.
- National Correspondent, The New York Times, June 1994 to December 2001.
- National Staff Writer, The Washington Post, October 1992 to May 1994.
- Staff Writer, The Wall Street Journal, July 1989 to September 1992.
|Beyond Tolerance: Searching for Interfaith Understanding in America
- Sources of Inspiration (Sheed & Ward, 1992).
- The New York Times Guide to Unforgettable Weekends (Hungry Minds/Frommer, 2001).
- Published in The New York Times Magazine, The Carnegie Reporter, The Christian Century, Tricycle: The Buddhist Review and Working Woman.
Awards and Prizes
- Honorary doctorate in humane letters, Elmhurst College, Elmhurst, Ill. 1997.
- Distinguished Writer Award, Presbyterian Writers' Guild. 2000.
- Religious Liberty Award, Associated Baptist Press. 1997.
- Templeton Religion Writer of the Year Award, Religion Newswriters Association. 1993.
- Supple Memorial Award, Religion Newswriters Association. 1993, 1991 and 1988.