Edward F. Mooney
Professor Emeritus, Philosophy, Religion
Research and Teaching Interests
For an insight into Dr. Mooney's work, please use this link to access an interview from 2012 on philosophy, literature and religion in The Vitalist. In addition, Dr. Mooney was recently interviewed in the Tehran Times regarding his new book on Kierkegaard.
|REL 191 Religion, Meaning and Knowledge
REL 396 Mysticism
PHI 325 Existentialism
REL 600 Thoreau as a Religious Philosopher, Seminar
REL 600 Affliction: Dostoevsky/Levinas, Seminar
REL 600 Death and Authenticity, Seminar
- Ph.D., Philosophy, UC, Santa Barbara (1968); B.A., Philosophy, Oberlin College (1962)
- Professor, Departments of Religion and Philosophy, Syracuse University, 2002-present; Professor of Philosophy, Sonoma State University, 1975-2002
|Lost Intimacy in American Thought: Recovering Personal Philosophy from Thoreau to Cavell
Continuum Books, 2009.
|Kierkegaard's Repetition and Philosophical Crumbs
Editor and Introduction, Oxford World Classis, 2009.
|On Soren Kierkegaard: Polemics, Dialogue, Lost Intimacy and Time
|Ethics, Love, and Faith in Kierkegaard: A Philosophical Engagement
Editor, Indiana University Press, 2008.
|Postcards Dropped in Flight
Codhill Press, 2006.
|Wilderness and the Heart: Henry Bugbee's Philosophy of Place, Presence, and Memory
Editor. Foreword by Alasdair MacIntyre, U of Georgia Press, 1999.
|Selves in Discord and Resolve: Kierkegaard's Moral-Religious Psychology from Either/Or to Sickness Unto Death
|Knights of Faith and Resignation: Reading Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling
State University of New York Press, 1991.
- 1. Death as Interpersonal
- 2. Response to Mooney
- 3. Kierkegaard on Moral Vision
- 4. Who is the Kierkegaardian Author?
- 5. 'Ferreira' on Kierkegaard
- 6. Kierkegaard's Ethical Sublime
- 7. Julia Kristeva: Tales of Horror and Love
- 8. Keynote Address: Kierkegaard at the APA?
- 9. Furtak's Wisdom in Love
- 10. Love, that Lenient Interpreter
- 11. Kierkegaard in the Garden of Death
- 12. Transfigurations: The Intimate Agency of Death
- 13. Repetition and the Philosophical Crumbs
- 14. Stokes review of On Soren Kierkegaard: Dialogue, Polemic, Lost Intimacy, and Time
- 15. Hannay's review of On Soren Kierkegaard
- 16. Furtak's review of Evans
- 17. Note to Utech Participants
- 18. Maternal in fear and trembling
- Author's comment: Lost Intimacy
- Review of LOST INTIMACY
- Levinas, Thoreau and the Face of a River
- Thoreau's Concord River
- Passionate Speech in the Dark Woods of a Life
- Erik Erikson: Artist of Moral Development
- Thoreau's Place of Wonder
- Thoreau on John Brown and Apples
- Thoreau's Wild Ethics
- Teaching Religion
- Self and Subjectivity
- Unsomber self-sketch
- New Book
- Leap of faith photographed
- Cavell: Passionate Speech Poster