Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies, Religion
Research and Teaching Interests Education
- Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Virginia (2006)
- M.A., Religion, Columbia University (1995)
- B.A., Religious Studies, Grinnell College (1994)
|REL 186 Buddhism
REL 221 Morality and Community
REL 385 Religion in Chinese Society
- Associate Professor, Department of Religion, Syracuse University, 2014-present.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Religion, Syracuse University, 2008-2014.
- Visiting Lecturer, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Richmond, 2007-08.
- Postdoctoral Associate, Council on East Asian Studies, Yale University, 2006-07.
- Instructor, Department of Anthropology, University of Virginia, 2005.
- From Comrades to Bodhisattvas: Moral Dimensions of Lay Buddhist Practice in Contemporary China. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 2014.
- "Religion as Repertoire: Resourcing the Past in a Beijing Buddhist Temple." Modern China (38:3, 2012).
- "In the Footsteps of the Tourists: Buddhist Revival at Museum-Temple Sites in Beijing." Social Compass (58:4, 2011).
- "Morality Books and the Re-Growth of Lay Buddhism in China." In Religion in Contemporary China: Tradition and Innovation. Adam Yuet Chau, ed. New York: Routledge Press, 2011.
- "The Spiritual Land Rush: Merit and Morality in New Chinese Buddhist Temple Construction." The Journal of Asian Studies (67:1, 2008).
- "The Buddha as Bully? The Politics of Displacement in Chinese Buddhist Revival." Association for Asian Studies Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA (2013).
- "Underground Temples? Exploring the Expansion of Lay Buddhist Spaces in 2010s Beijing." Workshop on Chinese Religions, East Asia Fairbank Center, Harvard University (2012).
- "(Dis)organized Chaos: Religious Pluralism at a Beijing Buddhist Temple." Claire M. Linthihac Lecture in Asian Studies, University of Vermont (2012).
- "All the Books in Indra's Net: Textual Communities and Buddhist Religious Diversity in Contemporary China." Confucius Institute, University of Leipzig, Germany (2012).
- "Do Chinese Buddhist Laypersons need Monastics? Exploring the Dynamic of Sangha-Laity Relations in Contemporary China." American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL (2012).
- "Buddhism in Contemporary China: The Re-enchantment of a Modern Society." Institute for Anthropology, Peking University, Beijing, China (2010).
- "Joining Fates: Buddhist Exchange in Globalizing China." American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA (2010).