Professor of Physics
- Experimental elementary particle physics.
- Search for new forces in weak decays of particles with charm and beauty.
- Spectroscopy of heavy quarkonia.
- Computing and instrumentation for high energy physics.
- Presently involved in the LHCb experiment at CERN. Previously participated in CLEO (Cornell), BTeV (Fermilab), GEM (SSC), Crystal Ball and LENA (DESY) projects.
News Articles Education
|1986||Ph.D. in Physics
Institute of Nuclear Physics, Krakow, Poland
|1982||MS.C. in Physics
Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
- Measurement of tau decays involving eta mesons with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 69 (1992) 3278.
- First measurement of the rate for the inclusive radiative penguin decay b -> s gamma with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74 (1995) 2885.
- Observation of B->phi K and B->phi K*. with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 86 (2001) 3718.
- First observation of a Upsilon(1D) state with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. D70 (2004) 032001.
- Search for Very Light CP-odd Higgs Boson in Radiative Decays of Upsilon(1S) with the CLEO collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101 (2008) 151802.
- First observation of the decay Bc+ -> J/psi pi+pi-pi+ with the LHCb collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108 (2012) 251802.
- Determination of the X(3872) meson quantum numebrs. with the LHCb collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110 (2013) 222001.
- Observation of the resonant character of the Z(4430). with the LHCb collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112 (2014) 222002.
- Observation of J/psi p resonances consistent with pentaquark states in Lambda_b^0 to J/psi K- p decays. with the LHCb collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 115 (2015) 07201
- Observation of J/psi phi structures consistent with exotic states from amplitude analysis of B+ -> J/psi phi K+ decays, with the LHCb collaboration, arXiv:1606.07895 (submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett.)
Honors and Awards
- Award of the Counsel of Atomic Research in Poland for the thesis dissertation (1986).
- Recipient of the Outstanding Junior Investigator Grant from DOE and of the SSC Fellowship from TNRLC (1993).
- American Physical Society Fellow (2001-).
- Chancellor's Citation for Faculty Excellence and Scholarly Distinction, Syracuse University, 2008.
- Honored as "Pole of The Year" at Polish Festival, Syracuse (2008).
- Member of Physics Advisory Committee for the Belle experiment, KEK, Japan (2007-2012).
- Distinguished Fellow of Eminent Scientists of Polish Origin and Ancestry, Kosciuszko Foundation (2014).
- American Physical Society
- Polish Physical Society
- Board member of Syracuse Friends of Chamber Music
- Sierra Club