M. Cristina Marchetti
William R. Kenan Distinguished Professor of Physics
- Hydrodynamics and rheology of active fluids and gels.
- Collective behavior of bacterial suspensions and other self-driven organisms.
- Cell motility and the mechanical properties of the cell cytoskeleton.
- Collective transport in disordered systems: vortex lines in superconductors, charge density waves.
- Dynamics of glassy systems.
News Articles Education
|1982||Ph.D. in Physics
University Florida, Gainesville
|1978||Laurea in Physics cum laude
University of Pavia, Italy
Awards & Professional Honors
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- William R. Kenan, Jr. Professorship
- Associate Director of the Syracuse Biomaterials Institute, 2007-present
- Chancellor's Citation for Academic Achievement, Syracuse University, 2005
- Rotschild-Mayent Sabbatical Fellowship, Institut Curie, Paris, 2007
- Principal Investigator and Member of the Board of Directors of the Boulder School for Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, http://boulder.research.yale.edu
- Vice-Chair and Chair of the Group of Statistical and Nonlinear Physics of the American Physical Society (2005-2008).
Sheared active fluids: thickening, thinning and vanishing viscosity, L.Giomi, T. B. Liverpool and M. Cristina Marchetti, Phys. Rev. E 81, 051908 (2010).
Statistical mechanics and hydrodynamics of Bacterial Suspensions, Aparna Baskaran and M. Cristina Marchetti, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 106, 15567-15572 (2009).
Mechanical response of active gels, T. B. Liverpool, M. C. Marchetti, J.-F. Joanny and J. Prost, EuroPhys. Lett. 85, 18007 (2009).
Enhanced diffusion and ordering of self-propelled rods, Aparna Baskaran and M. Cristina Marchetti, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 268101 (2008).
Depinning in a two-layer model of plastic flow, P. Le Doussal, M. C. Marchetti, K. J. Wiese, Phys. Rev. B 78, 224201 (2008). (28 pages).