Associate Professor of Physics
- Third-generation gravitational-wave detector technology.
- Quantum control of macroscopic objects.
- Commissioning of Advanced LIGO.
- Searching for a stochastic background of gravitational waves with Advanced LIGO.
News Articles Education
|2006||Ph.D. in Physics
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|2000||Diploma in Physics, with honors in Theoretical Physics
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) - Zurich
Awards & Professional Honors
- Robert A. Millikan Postdoctoral Prize Fellowship for Experimental Astrophysics (2006), California Institute of Technology
- Honorable Mention, GWIC (Gravitational Wave International Committee) Thesis Prize (2006)
S. Ballmer, S. Marka, P. Shawhan, "Feasibility of measuring the Shapiro time delay over meter-scale distances", Class. Quantum Grav. 27 185018.
B. Abbott, et. al., “An upper limit on the stochastic gravitational-wave background of cosmological origin” Nature 460 (2009) 990.
E. Thrane, S. Ballmer, J. D. Romano, S. Mitra, D. Talukder, S. Bose, V. Mandic, “Probing the anisotropies of a stochastic gravitational-wave background using a network of ground-based laser interferometers” Phys. Rev. D80, 122002 (2009).
M. Evans, S. Ballmer, M. Fejer, P. Fritschel, G. Harry, G. Ogin “Thermo-optic noise in coated mirrors for high-precision optical measurements” Phys. Rev. D78, 102003 (2008).