3-008 Center for Science and Technology
Phone: 315-443-2127 / fax: 315-443-4070
Assistant Professor, Chemistry
Research Interests Education
- B.S., 2003, Virginia Military Institute
- Ph.D., 2008, SUNY Buffalo
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 2008-2009, MPI for Kohlenforschung; Mülheim, Germany
Honors & Awards:
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship, 2009
- CHE 275: Organic Chemistry I
- CHE 326: Organic Chemistry Laboratory
- CHE 414/614: Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry
- CHE 427/627: Intermediate Organic Chemistry
- CHE 575: Organic Spectroscopy
- CHE 676: Introduction to Organic Synthesis: Methodology
My research group will consist of two main areas: 1) new reaction development, and 2) complex natural product synthesis. The first goal of my group is the development of new catalytic reactions for chemical synthesis that incorporate novel reactivity concepts to help solve problems which exist in current synthetic methods. In particular, my group is interested in transition metal catalyzed reactions which can be used to create motifs that are commonly found in naturally occurring molecules. As a corollary, mechanistic studies will be pursued to further explore the intimate details of these reactions. These mechanistic inquiries will help us broaden the scope and synthetic utility of each new reaction. The second goal of my group is to design efficient syntheses of complex molecules and where relevant we will implement the aforementioned methods. In particular, molecules which possess interesting biological activity and unique structurally challenging features are of interest to my group.
- Clark, D. A.; Basille, B. S.; Karnofel, W. S.; Diver, S. T. Enyne Cross-Metathesis with Strained, Geminally-Substituted Alkenes: Direct Access to Highly Substituted 1,3-Dienes. Org. Lett. 2008, 10(21), 4927-4929.
- Diver, S. T.; Clark, D. A.; Kulkarni, A. A. Selective Tandem Enyne Metathesis for the Synthesis of Functionalized Cycloheptadienes. Tetrahedron (Special Issue) 2008, 64(29), 6909-6919.
- Clark, D. A., Clark, J. R., Diver, S. T. Alkenol-Alkyne Cross Metathesis. Org. Lett. 2008, 10(10), 2055-2058.
- Diver, S. T.; Kulkarni, A.A.; Clark, D. A.; Peppers, B.P. Cylcodimerization of Alkynes with Phosphine-Free Ruthenium Carbene Complexes: Carbene Consumption by a Shunted Alkyne Oligomerization. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129(18), 5832-5833.
- Clark, D. A.; Kulkarni, A. A.; Kalbarczyk, K. K.; Schertzer, B.; Diver, S. T. Tandem Enyne Metathesis and Claisen Rearrangement: A Versatile Approach to Conjugated Dienes of Variable Substitution Patterns. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128(49), 15632-15636.