George M. Langford
Professor, Biology and Dean Emeritus of the College of Arts and Sciences
Research and Teaching Interests
Research in the Langford lab is focused primarily on the cell and molecular biology of the actin cytoskeleton in health and disease. We study the function of the actin cytoskeleton in organelle/vesicle transport in axons of nerve cells, and cell migration of human epithelial cells.
- Beloit College, Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters (2001)
- University of Pennsylvania
Postdoctoral Fellow, Biophysical Cell Biology Program (1971-1973)
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
M.S., Cell Biology (1966-1969)
Ph.D., Cell Biology (1969-1971)
- Fayetteville State University Fayetteville, North Carolina
B.S., Biology (1966)
- Haeri M, Wöllert T, Langford GM, Gilbert JL. 2013. Voltage-controlled cellular viability of preosteoblasts on polarized cpTi with varying surface oxide thickness. Bioelectrochemistry. 94:53-60.
- Haeri M, Wӧllert T, Langford GM, Gilbert JL. 2012. Electrochemical control of cell death by reduction-induced intrinsic apoptosis and oxidation-induced necrosis on CoCrMo alloy in vitro. Biomaterials. 33(27):6295-304.
- Wöllert T, Rollenhagen C, Langford GM, Sundstrom P. 2012. Human oral keratinocytes: a model system to analyze host-pathogen interactions. Methods Mol Biol. 845:289-302.
- Wöllert, T., Patel, A., Lee, Y.L., Provance D.W., Vought, V.E., Cosgrove, M.S., Mercer J.A, and Langford, G.M. Myosin5a tail associates directly with Rab3A-containing compartments in neurons. J Biol Chem. 2011 Apr 22; 286(16):14352-61.
- Wöllert T, Langford GM. 2009. High resolution multimode light microscopy of cell migration: long-term imaging and analysis. Methods Mol Biol. 586:3-21.
- Rollenhagen C, Wöllert T, Langford GM, Sundstrom P. 2009. Stimulation of cell motility and expression of late markers of differentiation in human oral keratinocytes by Candida albicans. Cell Microbiol. 11(6):946-66.
- Wöllert T, Langford GM. 2009. Vesicle transport assay. Encyclopedia of Life Sciences (ELS). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Chichester.
- Brown, J.R., Stafford, P., and Langford, G.M. 2004. Short-range axonal/dendritic transport by myosin-V: A model for vesicle delivery to the synapse. J Neurobiol. 58:175-188.
- Langford, G.M. 2002. Myosin-V, a versatile motor for short-range vesicle transport. Traffic 3:859-865.
- Langford, G.M. 2000. Video-enhanced microscopy for analysis of cytoskeleton structure and function. In: Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 161 Cytoskeleton Methods and Protocols. Ed. Ray H. Gavin, Humana Press Inc., pages 31-43.
- Molyneaux, B.J., Mulcahey, M.K., Stafford, P., and Langford, G.M. 2000. Sequence and phylogenetic analysis of squid myosin V: A vesicle motor in nerve cells. Cell Motil. Cytoskel. 46:108-115.
- DePina, A.S., and Langford, G.M. 1999. Vesicle transport: The role of actin filaments and myosin motors. Microscopy Res. Technique 47:93-106.
- Tabb, J.S., Molyneaux, B.J., Cohen, D.L., Kuznetsov, S.A., and Langford, G.M. 1998. Transport of ER vesicles on actin filaments in neurons by myosin V. J. Cell Sci. 111:3221-3234.
- Langford, G.M. 1995. Actin-and microtubule-dependent organelle motors: interrelationship between the two motility systems. Current Opinion in Cell Biol. 7:82-88.
- Kuznetsov, S.A., Langford, G.M., and Weiss, D.G. 1992. Actin-dependent organelle movement in squid axoplasm. Nature 356: 725-727.
- Langford, G.M., and Inoue, S. 1979. Motility of the microtubular axostyle in Pyrsonympha. J. Cell Biol. 80: 521-538.
- Burroughs-Welcome Fund – Chair, Board of Directors (present)
- National Nanofabrication Infrastructure Network (NNIN) Scientific Advisory Board (present)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Science Education Advisory Board, (present)
- American Society for Cell Biology Executive Committee (1993-1999); Secretary (1993-1999)
- NSF Alan T. Waterman Award Committee (1997-2000)
- National Research Council Associateship Programs Advisory Committee (1997-2006)
- NSF Biological Sciences Directorate Advisory Committee (1992-1996)
- Member, National Science Board, NSB (1998-2004)
Awards and Honors
- 2009 Illinois Institute of Technology Professional Achievement Award
- Summer 2004, Guest Scientist/Lecturer NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- 2004, Keynote Speaker, The Ninth Annual John W. Diggs Lecture, NIH
- Featured Cell Biologist in the CAMPBELL & REECE textbook: Biology Sixth Edition, Neil Campbell and Jane Reece, Benjamin Cummings, New York 2002 pages 106-107
- Honorary Degree awarded by Beloit College: Doctor of Humane Letters, 2001
- Chair NSB Education and Human Resources Committee 2000-2004
- Member, National Science Board (NSB) 1998-2004
- Vice-Chair NSB National Workforce Taskforce Subcommittee 1999-2004
- Chair NSB Vannevar Bush Award Committee 1999-2003
- 1994, American Society for Cell Biology Ernest Everett Just Lectureship Award
- 1991 Ernest Everett Just Professorship, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- Research featured in public television (PBS) documentary entitled Breakthrough: The changing face of science 1995-1996